Friday, November 20, 2009

And speaking of Jean Desses ...

I've long been reading about Kerry Taylor Auctions , which is apparently the leading auction house for antique and vintage fashion; Vogue magazine declares that I can pick up a piece of classic couture from Kerry for a steal. However today is the first opportunity I've had to actually look through the whole on-line catalogue for an upcoming auction. All I can say is WOW.

I was drooling over Marisa Tomei's shocking pink 1950's Jean Desses frock this week, and Kerry Taylor has a number of stunning and singular 1950's and 1960's Jean Desses creations on offer, guaranteed to make your eyes water. For anyone who is not a struggling arts publicist in the midst of planning a wedding, perhaps you'd like to consider one of these ...




I think the two-tone blue draped cocktail frock is my favourite, but I'd be quite happy to receive any or all of them as a gift. For those of you who are a fan of the label, it is worth jumping onto the site to see the frocks from all angles. The last sparkly blue number features a low back and generous bow detail.
The current auction - scheduled for December 8 - is entitled Passion for Fashion & Fine Textiles including an important Audrey Hepburn Collection. There is a plethora of understated but chic Givenchy and Valentino items that the style icon herself owned, wore and in some instances lovingly bequeathed to friends.
There is also this beautiful ball-gown, which was not owned by Audrey and is also not a Jean Desses, but is in fact a 1950's Paquin creation that I just had to include in this post because it is so sublime. And lo and behold it features beaded tulle. Sigh.

7 comments:

Cammila said...

That black patterned strapless one is just perfect -- love it!

BaronessVonVintage said...

oh my!!!!! Unbelievable!

BaronessVonVintage said...

and thanks for the award and kind comments on my blog!!! Hope you find that Water wall! I can only wish it was warm and sunny right now (though I wouldn't mind some fluffy snow, just in time for Christmas).

Unknown said...

I've just died and gone to heaven with that Paquin...wow

Kristin said...

All of these are just amazingly stunning! Thans for sharing this site!!

Sabina Knox said...

love the draping in the second one.

Louise said...

I know, the Paquin is divine Miss Peelpants. I will let myself slowly fall asleep tonight imagining a life where I could wear that dress.